Optimizing your LinkedIn profile has a myriad of benefits: from generating new leads, engaging with prospects, and driving traffic to your website. Many people overlook the benefits of having an A+ LinkedIn profile, but that ends today!
“According to LinkedIn, users with complete profiles are 40 times more likely to receive opportunities such as job offers, mentors, or new business,” explains Lisa Dougherty of Content Marketing Institute. “Your LinkedIn profile is your digital resume. You can add more detail than you can on your printed resume. It will set you apart from your competition.”
Grab your water and start to stretch, because it’s time for LinkedIn Bootcamp!
Personalizing your headline is one of the best things you can do for your profile. You have 120 characters to work with, so be strategic of your keywords and spacing. The headline should have a balance of your personal brand along with strategic use of keywords. Use your professional title first, then your personal titles after. The more specific you are, the more your profile will turn up in search results.
Think of this as your elevator pitch. You can add media such as photos, documents, videos, and presentations. A resume summary is a short, snappy introduction that presents you career progress, goals, and skill set. Don’t forget to add keywords, and be specific.
Summary character limit is 2,000 and you should use all of them if you can. Write a summary of at least 40 words to rank higher. Feel free to use bullets or symbols to make certain information stand out.
Your Profile Photo
Use a professional headshot and professional cover photo, if possible.
- Pro Tip: Make sure your professional profile photo matches all of your social outlets in order to build your personal brand.
Create a Vanity URL
This makes your profile far more SEO-friendly for when people are searching for you.
- Change your URL by clicking “customize your public profile URL” on the right.
Step 1: Show ‘Em What You Got: Emphasize Your Professional Skills
- Adding skills optimizes your profile for specific keywords
- Allows you to get quick endorsements from your connections
- LinkedIn will showcase your top 10 skills based on endorsements so people know where you excel
Step 2: Promote Your Projects
- Use the Projects section to highlight products, services, or other projects
- Make sure you directly link each project to your website and include others on your team when applicable
Step 3: Link to Your Publications
- If you’ve contributed to publications, have an ebook, white papers, articles, or other content you want to promote, directly link each publication to the appropriate landing page where visitors can read the article or buy your book
Step 4: Strut Your Stuff
- Share your honors and awards to highlight notable lists and mentions you’ve received from recognized authorities and publications
Step 5: Showcase Specialized Certifications
- If you’re certified in a special field, list it here and provide a link so people can learn more about it
- Examples: SalesForce Certified, Google AdWords Certified
Step 6: Feature Your Professional Memberships
- Add professional organizations in your industry that you belong to, highlight your membership and the position you hold, beyond just being a member, which allows for SEO keywords.
Step 7: Highlight Your LinkedIn Groups
- If you’re apart of LinkedIn groups, choose the option of having them listed on your profile as this allows people to engage with you in those groups, and adds more keywords to your profile.
- If you run a group, display it on your profile to help increase membership
Step 8: Publicize Your Interests
- When you follow news channels, publishers, influencers and companies, they will appear in the “Following” section of your profile
- You can use this section to optimize your profile for specific keywords, highlight publications that you may contribute to and showcase your customers
Step 9: Support Your Causes
- Add volunteer experience to show others that you also care about helping others
- You can use this section to promote your organization and cause
Step 10: Hit ‘Em With The Digits
- Complete your contact information – make it easy for people to get in contact with you! Include your email, location, Twitter handle, and website address.
Make sure you update your profile regularly, and engage with others by posting articles, commenting on posts, or simply liking updates. The more you utilize LinkedIn and update it, the more it will work for you and your prospecting!