Social Media, either you love it or you hate it, and sometimes it’s both. Social media is ultimately just conversation and interaction with others online. It’s a way for those interested in you or your business to check in, listen to what you have to say, find out more information, and share experiences with you. No matter where you fall in the spectrum of love or hate, social media is a piece of the promotional puzzle that shouldn’t be ignored.

People today place a high value on recommendations from their peers, their family, and even others in their local community. They are looking for options and advice. Social media is one way that you can build awareness and share your expert advice while providing a forum for those who have worked with you to endorse and recommend what you have to offer. The more online presence you or your company have, the more reputable you are in the eyes of your customer. You don’t have to create a profile on every social outlet to be effective. We recommend you ask your customers what they use most and start there.

Here are a few tips to keep in mind if social media is an avenue of overall marketing strategy you wish to implement:

  • Use checklists, tutorials, videos, images and infographics when possible – they are more engaging. As a matter of fact, 93% of the most engaging posts on Facebook have an image.
  • Be sure to link your images or graphics back to your website or blog.
  • Don’t just post to your page or account – interaction is key.
  • 20% of your posts can be sales or promotions the other 80% should be relevant content, sharing, news, or advice.

Like most things, it’s best to take on the task of social media in bite size pieces. Set aside 10-20 minutes a day to post, comment, reply and engage with your social networks. If you don’t have 20 minutes, is someone in your office who is familiar with your brand and brand message able to handle some of the social management on your behalf?

As an author, don’t forget to utilize social media to build a buzz around the launch of your book and keep people updated on book signings, speeches and appearances. Letting your community in on the excitement and progress of your book publication and upcoming book launch will keep them interested and make them feel a part of the process with you. Encourage your network to share your book news with their network. Before you know it, you will have expanded your community, generated shared awareness, and established credibility by connecting and interacting with others about your book, your expertise, and your business.

Get Your Personalized Authority Scorecard

Receive a complimentary critique of your business’ marketing and digital performance without having to talk to a human.

Authority Scorecard