Stop Selling & Get Real
Perfection. Only a few years ago, businesses used this mentality as the focus of their marketing campaigns. Companies would work tirelessly to convince buyers that they had the perfect product – in every way, shape, and form. But not today… businesses need to stop selling and start getting real.
Effective marketing is now focused on the exact opposite theory. Consumers are mindful to seek out faults and failings. If a business seems too good to be true – it most likely is. Word of mouth via social media allows consumers to voice their opinions for the world to view. Lofty praises or generalized promises no longer pack the same punch. In turn, companies have learned to focus on emotions, exploring ways to establish kindness and trust with their target market.
A modern business owner should be prepared to talk about their company in an open and honest way, admitting their strengths and weaknesses unapologetically. Companies need to take on an anthropomorphic sense and relate to their consumers’ faults. It might not be easy, but there are a few steps to get you started:
- Deliver. Uphold your promises – every time.
- Respect. Give it and it will be returned.
- Get involved. Become an active supporter of your community and industry.
- Be fair. Build a reputation for it. Winning isn’t everything.
- Think, then act.
- Consistency is key. Authentic consistency is golden.
- Be generous. Really, really generous.
- Admit defeat. Share your failings alongside your strengths.
To achieve success you must establish a reputation that others will trust, which takes years to gain, but seconds to lose. Start building trust with your consumers today and see how far honesty can take you on the path to success.